Thursday, April 5, 2012

And Why Did Jason Foster write a novel?

     "I dreamed of writing a book ever since I was a kid.  Even back in my Herkimer school days. Once I turned 40, I felt that I (had) better get started and not let excuses . . . get in the way.  So when I had a break in my day . . . I would break out my pen and notebook and started writing."

     Interspersed between word plays on Words With Friends, Jason shared with me that he was once eating at Sloppy Joe's in Key West, which was frequented by Ernest Hemingway (http://www.sloppyjoes.com/history.htm).  

     While Jason was writing 42 Unanswered Points at Sloppy Joe's, all he could think of was perhaps Hemmingway wrote in that very place.  Given Hemingway's reputation, I'm not sure he frequented the Prohibition speakeasy to write, but, hey, you never know! At the very least, both Hemingway and Jason Foster were inspired to write in the very same place in Key West, and that sure is something!  

"All good books have one thing in common, they are truer than if they really happened and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you; the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and sorrow, the people, the places and how the weather was.  If you can get so you can give that to people, then you are a writer." Ernest Hemingway 

Taken from "Old Newsman Writes: A letter from Cuba" as written in Esquire Dec. 1934
Retrieved from en.wikiquote.org  05 Apr. 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment