Thursday, April 12, 2012

Oh, but wait!

Before I present the sneak preview of Jason Foster's 2nd book Killer Interview, I would like to share with you my overall review of 42 Unanswered Points.


     Throughout this interview, I allowed Jason's voice to be the predominate one so that you would gain a better understanding of his thought process in writing 42 Unanswered Points and of Foster himself, but now I would like to give you my honest opinion of the book.

"A combination of circumstances and fate give Brandon Evans a chance to star as the quarterback for New York State University. While achieving tremendous on-field success that makes him 'America's Superstar'. Brandon learns the hard way that the modern 24/7 media world of cable television, sports talk radio and especially the Internet can tear down a person as fast as it can build someone up . . ."

Oops! Those aren't my thoughts or words, but rather a description of the plot for Jason's novel as found on Amazon.com.  This is what I thought about it:

     As someone who will watch an occasional football game, when Jason and I had our first conversation about the book I wasn't sure if it would have been something that I could have appreciated.  I intended to place it on my summer reading list, after I had completed my semester course work, yet when the idea for this blog popped into my head, I knew he would help me out, so I needed to read 42 Unanswered Points sooner rather than later.  In my mind, I wasn't sure what to expect.

     What I discovered was Jason's idea of writing a "Football for Dummies" novel was right on target.  I learned quite a bit about the ins and outs of high school football and even learned some plays, especially the wishbone play, since this appears to be Jason's pet peeve play in the game.  I also learned what 42 Unanswered Points meant in the score of a football game.

     But what I enjoyed the most from 42 Unanswered Points was the human element to the plot of the story.  The sometimes larger than life protagonist, Brandon Evans, was an endearing character who has witty thoughts and conversations with the other characters in the novel, including the two leading ladies, Julie and Kelsey (but not at the same time!). The love story that evolves throughout the novel is one that takes you back to high school and college years, when things were simpler, but somehow more complicated.  The twist in the plot that involves all three characters near the end, sneaks up on the reader without warning and is a bit suspenseful, causing you to wonder what would happen next.

    Overall, I enjoyed the novel very much and am grateful that Jason agreed to conducting this interview and donating a signed copy of 42 Unanswered Points to Frank J. Basloe Library.  I sincerely invite you all to check out Jason's novel from Frank J. Basloe Library, to support the library and a "local" author. You may also purchase a copy from Amazon.com.  Just don't pay $1999.99 for it!

*As a responsible writer, I would like to add that 42 Unanswered Points is for Mature Audiences only, as there are several explicit scenes and some adult language that is not appropriate for younger readers.


No comments:

Post a Comment