Wednesday, June 6, 2012

     In the last part of May, I came across an  invite on my own Facebook page from the Herkimer County Historical Society for an event later in June that sounded very intriguing, yet a bit scary.  The invite was for a presentation by two local authors about paranormal activity in the Mohawk Valley.  Since I generally get spooked very easily, I tend to stay away from anything that involves things that go bump in the night, but what caught my attention was not the actual event itself (although it does sound interesting and I am planning on attending the FREE event on June 21st at 7pm at the Herkimer Historical Society located on North Main Street at the Historical Four corners), but the fact that two LOCAL authors were involved really caught my attention.


     Since I was in need of an author for June's contest for Frank J. Basloe Library, I decided to do a quick search for one of the authors on the internet and found out that he was on Facebook.  So, sight unseen and not really knowing what to expect, I quickly sent out a friend request.  During the few brief moments that it took Cano Davy to accept my request, I envisioned a few different pictures of what a ghost hunter might look like.  I thought of  Gene Wilder's character in Young Frankenstein

taken from unrealitymag.com 6/06/12
although I have no idea why, since Wilder's character was a monster builder, not a ghost hunter.  

     Then, Bill Murray popped in my head.

taken from moviefanatic.com  6/06/12

I knew that this couldn't be right either, but at least I was headed in the general direction of where I needed to be thinking.

My last ditch effort to conjure up an image was just as weak, as it was the only other one that I could possibly think of:

taken from entil2001.com 6/06/12

Since I have only ever seen the commercials for this popular television show, I had no idea if this would be correct either.  However, I needn't use my imagination any longer, because I was now "friends" with Mr. Davy on Facebook.  Since he had accepted my request so quickly, I wasted no time to see how close I was.  

Come back to Friends and Words tomorrow for bios and pictures of The Mohawk Valley's own ghost "hunters," Cano Davy and Marcus Zwierecki.

Until then, what do you think of when you hear the word "ghost hunter"?




No comments:

Post a Comment