Monday, June 11, 2012

Unexpected Things

"Each passing day you seem to plan things out . . .
  Plan things the way that you would like them to happen
  But it never seems to work out that way
  Things change with each passing second
  So unexpected and without even a chance to catch ourselves
  It seems that's what life is all about
  Unexpected changes
  It's what makes the world go round
  It's what keeps us second guessing
  Life's unexpected changes
  If only we knew all the unexpected changes that were about to happen
  If only we knew the unexpected changes that were coming our way
  If only we knew"
Author: Holly Trout, 2009 (www.helium.com/item/1472795-unexpected-changes)

     Unexpected changes and things were the theme for this past weekend. Plans to continue with Cano Davy's story over the weekend, among other things, were thwarted by car troubles, dispair over a child's quest for the perfect graduation dress, unexpected visits with friends from afar, changes in my personal schedule-the types of things that I could not see headed my way-some met with joy, some met with determination and others not welcome at all!

     Yet despite all of the minor inconveniences that I experienced, these unexpected things were nothing compared to the unexpected things that Cano Davy experienced.  As a young child, Cano grew up in a home where some of the adults in his life would speak of homes that were inhabited by "unfriendly spirits."  This made him aware of the existence of paranormal activities.

     The conscious awareness of spirits became even more pronounced for Cano after the unexpected death of a sibling.  He explained that "unexplained" or unexpected occurrences after this event, sparked his interest in study of the paranormal.

     I have to admit that I get goosebumps just at the mere mention of ghost, let alone this odd word "paranormal."  Once, while on our first trip to Williamsburg, Virginia, my husband and I gave into our son's request to go on one of those touristy ghost tours that are popular in historical places.  Not one of those "stupid, silly tours" was our son's criteria.  So we did some research and booked a tour that was associated with the actual Williamsburg "park people."  After about three stops along this tour, I was grateful that an unexpected thunderstorm developed (complete with several hours of torrential downpours and lightening that might be mistaken for an enormous fireworks display) and the remainder of the tour had to be cancelled.  I was scared out of my skull, and I could see the look of horror on my daughter's face as well, so as much as I didn't want to be stuck in this storm, it was a bit of a relief.  The one story that I still remember after all these years was about a young "Indian (Native American) boy" who haunted the campus of William and Mary College.  Several years later, when our family returned to Williamsburg and we walked on the campus in broad daylight, I still had the "heebie-jeebies" recollecting that story!

     I imagine that Cano Davy would have been upset at the unexpected storm, for it may have thwarted his chance at a viewing paranormal activity.  But then again, probably not, because ghost tours are not normally how one views this sort of thing.

Come back tomorrow to see how Cano Davy and the rest of the New York State Paranormal Research actually hunts for ghosts.  That is if nothing else unexpected prohibits me from doing so!




No comments:

Post a Comment